woensdag 22 april 2009

Sugar drinks 'worsen vomit bug'

summary
The idea that flat coke and lemonade helps children suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea is just a myth. These children needed to be treated with oral rehydration solution instead of flat coke and lemonade. These drinks contain too much sugar and can make the sickness a lot worse. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has produced handy guidelines for parents to recognize the symptoms whether their children are dehydrated.

Comment
Luckily I have a GP who taught me how to recognize the first symptoms of dehydration. I always bring a box of oral rehydration solution with on holiday. When my children were a lot younger I had to use it more then once. Therefore I think that it is a good idea that GP’s or other health services inform parents with the basic knowledge of dehydration a lot more. Every parent would like to protect their child from illness and using flat coke or lemonade could make it a lot worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2hi/health/8010346.stm

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten