woensdag 10 juni 2009

Minister calls for food date labels to be made clearer to reduce food waste

Summary:

Because of the UK’s growing mountain of food waste, retailers should label their products with only one label the government said. Consumers are confused and misled by the rich variation of food labels. The products should all be carrying “use before” date. The Department of Food, Environment and Rural showed figures that consumers are throwing away hundreds tonnes of food, while it is still healthy to eat.
Retailers do not think that using one label will reduce the food waste, but they should inform the consumers better about the different food dates on labels, because consumers do not understand their meaning. Retailers should work more closely with the government to improve understanding and help customers to make better choices about buying; storing and using food at home and then the food waste will probably reduce. Environment and food secretary Hillary Benn said that over the next decade consumers could have the option of buying anything then by simply taking empty containers back to shops to be refilled.

My reaction:
As reading this article it appeared to me that wasting food is not only a big problem in the UK, but also in the rest of the world. I am generally not confused by the food labels, but due to the labels. I do not drink or eat anything that is outdated. When thinking it I know that I probably can eat or drink the product without any risk, but I do not know that for sure, so I throw it away. Therefore I am also one of the consumers whom are throwing away edible food. Maybe I need to change my attitude and taste or drink it first and then decide if I need to throw it away.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jun/09/food-waste-sell-by-date

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Nickie - your blog looks good. Everything seems to be in order. All that's left for me to do is to comment on your writing, which I'll do for 2 randomly chosen posts on your weblog. This is the first. My comments and corrections are in [brackets].

    Because of the UK’s growing mountain of food waste, retailers should label their products with only one label[,] the government [has] said. Consumers are confused and misled by the rich variation of food labels. The products should all [carry a] “use before” date. The Department of Food, Environment and Rural [Affairs] showed figures that consumers are throwing away hundreds [of] tonnes of food, while it is still healthy to eat.
    [blank line to indicate new paragraph]
    Retailers do not think that using one label will reduce the food waste, but they should inform [] consumers better about the different food dates on labels, because consumers do not understand their meaning. Retailers should work more closely with the government to improve understanding and help customers to make better choices about buying[,] storing and using food at home[;] then the food waste will probably reduce. Environment and food secretary Hillary Benn said that over the next decade consumers could have the option of buying anything [] by simply taking empty containers back to shops to be refilled.

    My reaction:
    [R]eading this article it appeared to me that wasting food is not only a big problem in the UK, but also in the rest of the world. I am generally not confused by the food labels, but due to the labels[]I do not drink or eat anything that is [past its sell-by date]. [If I think] [about] it I know that I probably can eat or drink the product without any risk, but I do not know that for sure, so I throw it away. Therefore[,] I am also one of the consumers [who] are throwing away edible food. Maybe I need to change my attitude and taste or drink it first and then decide if I need to throw it away.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen